Wednesday 11 January 2012

Illustration Fridays Challenge #1 : Grounded

"Grounded"


Hello fellow bloggers! So here it is, the first challenge. Since the word was "grounded" I decided to go with the actual ground approach. The photo above inspired my final work of art because of the use of lines. At the bottom of the boat you see many twists and turns in the water that never fully reach from one side to the other. To be more explicit, I like that the water looks complete without straight or curvy lines from side to side. To incorporate that into my work I decided to start a curve at one end of the page and stop it at mid point.

(sorry no image)
My sketches are for an Advertisement promoting landscaping. Yes, landscaping doesn't really have anything to do with "grounded" but my train of thought went to roots. Trees are so strong, not because of the size, but because of the roots. Roots are strong and hold the trees in place making them grounded. I also chose landscaping because grounded can also be thought of as "stable" or "balance" and gardens after a wild winter could use some balancing.


So for my final work I started of with the logo. I thought of doing deep roots mixed with a modern tree to catch the attention of the viewers.

Next I thought of how I could incorporate the lines that "don't reach the other side". I came up with a rounded banner around the tree and a green "grass stripe".


In the end I took out the green strip because I thought it made the image off balanced and didn't flow well with the background. Over all I am very happy with my outcome and feel I created a "grounded" image. The elements I mostly used were colour, line, and shape.



The advertisement would be an effective poster, mailed advertisement, newspaper ad, or even a tv or internet ad.

 Look for next weeks challenge. 
Happy Blogging!



2 comments:

  1. Rachel; this is fabulous. Really well done. I like how you began with one thing as your inspiration and found a way to move through that into your own unique conclusion. Your final is really well realized and communicates very effectively. A terrific portfolio piece. Great work! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! That really means a lot coming from you! I really inspired me with this project.

    ReplyDelete