Saturday 21 January 2012

Challenge: 3 "Twirl"

Hey Bloggers!! So week 3 of illustration friday's challenge was the word "Twirl". When I saw the word it took me a few minutes to think of a really good advertisement for that word. When I thought long and hard about the word twirl,  dance came into mind.

Inspiration for the week


This picture is by Will Davies and is my inspiration for this week. I chose this specific picture because of the colours. The sepia and the dark blacks and grey's are an interesting combination and I thought it would be a great idea for a Dance Studio advertisement.

Sketches

(Sorry they are kind of hard to see)


As for sketching ideas .. that was tricky!! I had a million and a half ideas on how to do this. New shapes for advertisements, silhouettes, couples, and the list goes on. As for my final decisions I chose to go with a girl or a silhouette. I chose between these two because I find them elegant and very recognizable in the dance world. My sketches show some with multiple pictures of types of dance, backgrounds, and some just the dancer. After the sketches came the choice of how to do the final. I chose the last sketch based upon a picture I came upon online.

Final


Background: First I chose the size and shape of the ad and went with a long thin canvas and added a grey backdrop to make the outer boarder.


Picture: Next I added the picture that inspired my dance studio ad. I love this picture because its beautiful, soft, and this girl has beautiful body lines. The photographer who took this photo is now my idol in my mind! This photo also happened to be in my colour range!


Twirl: To add twirl I made it the studio's name. Since dance is a mixture of twirls and movements I thought it suited a studio very well. I added the silhouette because I believe it is a major icon and is very memorable!


Final: In the end I added the things that the studio included such as classes, teams, couple classes (like a wedding dance maybe or just for fun) and a kids camp for an after school program. I also added that it is a new studio and to register now.
I really love how this ad turned out. The elegance of the photo I tried to bring into the actual advertisement by using the same text throughout but adding a tag line of cursive font. I also like the small addition of the red to the information, I believe it stands out but isn't throwing off the balance.
Please leave any and all comments!

Happy Blogging! Check in next week to see challenge 4!

*The photo used was not my own and all credit goes to this amazing photographer!* 


1 comment:

  1. Rachel; This is a great effort -- I love how enthusiastically you tackled this week's word. You did a great job on the early stage development... the conceptualization and thumbnailing. However your choice of final execution is problematic. First of all, its "Illustration Friday" - not "Photo Friday" I have allowed the use of photography if (A) you are the photographer and (B) you find some creative way to manipulate the photo in an "illustrative" manner. Always show the original photo and your illustrative modifications when you do this. See Zoheb's blog of Chelsey's for an example of an acceptable use of photography. You can also use some royalty free photography if you get permission of the owner (many photographers on Flickr allow this, for instance) and if you link back to the original source.

    But for the most part, I'd prefer you to actually attempt to create your own graphics/illustrations rather than go the photo route at all.

    Again, I applaud your enthusiasm and initiative. Hope this clarification is helpful for future efforts! :^)

    ReplyDelete